Wednesday, July 27, 2011

101 Reasons Why I Love Florida: Reason #23


Many years ago I stood on the shore of the Gulf of Mexico in Port Richey and noticed several houses on stilts out in the distance. I was fascinated at the idea that someone would build a house in the gulf, and I immediately wanted one. Still do, actually.

Turns out I can't have one. They cannot be sold, only passed down within a family. New ones cannot be built. And if existing stilt houses are ever destroyed, there are rules as to how much of the original structure must still be standing in order for rebuilding to occur. Luckily for me, my husband's family is friends with one of the owners, and they sometimes let us visit theirs when it's not in use.

It's all the fun of the beach with none of the sand. And with my impossibly fair skin, I greatly appreciate being able to hang out in the shade without having to leave the party.

No comments: