Saturday, July 16, 2011

101 Reasons Why I Love Florida: Reason #18


About a year ago, I got to drive through the heart of the Everglades National Forest with my sister. I had been through the Everglades once before, but this time we took the long way so we could see more of the forest. We were hoping to see lots of wildlife, but we saw very little. Other than an alligator carcass and some buzzards, all we really saw were a whoooooole lot of bugs. Big bugs. Bugs that see cars coming and attack instead of fleeing. "Oh my God, did you see the size of that frog - no, wait, why does that frog have six legs" kind of bugs.

Yeah... not my favorite part of the trip.

However, I have to admit that the forest was breathtakingly beautiful. There are swamps, thick forests, and vast expanses of grassland dotted with random trees. Parts of it resembled the Serengeti. If only we had found a Florida panther! Perhaps next time.

I'm sure I'll visit the Everglades again (when I win the lottery, I'll pass through it on my way to my palatial estate in Key West).

No comments: