Wednesday, November 17, 2010

101 Reasons Why I Love Florida: Reason #2

I grew up next to the "Mighty Mississippi." Its power is awe-inspiring. So when I moved to Florida and found myself next to the serene Pithlachascotee River, I was mesmerized. The name is a little challenging, and some people shorten it to the "Cotee River," but I prefer its actual name. I think the nickname belies its beauty.

A canopy of Live Oak branches draped with Spanish Moss envelopes the lazy scenic bends, and the reflections of palms can be seen in the calm, sparkling blackwater river. I used to go out of my way to drive along the edge of it, and I would wonder how happy its neighbors must be to see it outside their front doors each day. Now, thanks to an interesting twist of fate, I am (almost) one of those people; I live one block away.

And, yes, I still drive the extra block every day just to look at the water.

1 comment:

Vicki Lemonds said...

I don't blame you. I'd drive that extra block too. :)